The teen was issued a summons to appear in court for the charge of unlawful sexual contact, a class one misdemeanor. Because of the subject's age and the severity of the charge the Colorado Open Records Act dictates his name not be released.
Tuesday evening deputies took a report of a woman who experienced unwanted sexual contact from an unknown male while out on a, afternoon walk on the Audubon portion of the Riverfront Trail in Redlands.
The woman described a young African American male, who grabbed her after closely following her along the trail. He ran off after she hit him on the side of the head with her water bottle. She was not hurt.
While the Mesa County Sheriff's Office is confident the person in this incident was identified, we always want to encourage people to remain vigilant while recreating. It is smart to always take basic safety precautions when enjoying the outdoors.
- Always carry a charged cell phone.
- Remain aware of your surroundings.
- Go in groups. If not, make sure someone knows where you plan to go. and when to expect you back. There are many phone apps and fitness trackers that will send a friend your exact location, some even let them follow along on your adventure.
- Take a water bottle or a walking stick, it can be used as protection.
- Music lovers stay aware of your surroundings, it's a good idea to keep one earbud out so you can hear what is going on around you.